Monday, January 11, 2010

Finding a Place to Settle Down

So my husband and I are constantly exploring the idea of setting down roots somewhere but neither of us are sure where that might be or how to figure out which place is best in terms of climate, job market, entertainment, etc. Thus, I have spent lots of time looking for websites that might help us in making a choice. Most recently, I have been attempting to find a place where I might have several options in graduate school programs, my husband would have the best chance at finding a job, and it would be a nice place to raise children. In my searches, I have found several sites that are very useful in this task and I hope they will be helpful for others as well!

First, FindYourSpot.com has a quiz that allowed me to pick the qualities that I wanted in a town/city and analyzed them to provide me with top picks. Next, I used the Bureau of Labor Statistics website (http://www.bls.gov/data/) to determine the job market for certain fields in the different suggested locations. I then searched U.S. News & World Report's website to determine graduate school rankings (grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools) and compared the schools listed to the locations suggested through FindYourSpot.com. Finally, I narrowed down locations based on bestplaces.net/city which compares different cities rankings in things such as population density, cost of living, public transportation, etc. For my husband and I, it looks like Boston is a great place to live but who knows what your results may be! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment